Tuesday, April 24, 2012

pat your head, rub your tummy

Well.

There's been a flurry of portrait painting over here, and I'm being my usual lazy self about getting the new pieces up. I keep thinking that I'm going to do some actual writing first... you know, fascinating details about Auden's 4th birthday (!) or the way Isla calls oatmeal oh-pi-noh. Very necessary details: the things that take up all the spaces in between portraits.

But I can't get the writing muscles to flex these days. I think in hues and values... so much so that after a day of painting, when Jason is talking to me at dinner, I can only think about what particular color I'd mix for the cool part of that shadow under his nose. I'm sorry, what were you saying?

I can't pat my head & rub my tummy at the same time, so I'll just post pretty paintings of babies:


This was commissioned as a gift for her parents on her first birthday. I love how her gaze is so direct and yet everything about her is still so soft.

And I can't believe that Auden is FOUR all of the sudden, and that Isla now says things to me like, "Don't freak about it, mama." Little wise maddening geniuses.

*

No comments: