Wednesday, August 26, 2009

wonder of wonders

You may have guessed from the totalitarian government black-out on any and all reporting on the diaper-free front, but I have for the most part given up on that. For like, the last year.

It was so much of a pain in my ass that I didn't want to push for it anymore, but I was still reluctant to admit defeat. Oh, I had such high hopes! But I couldn't argue with a thrashing writhing screaming kid -- that message is clear enough. He Did Not Want to Sit on the Potty.

So the latest development has surprised and delighted me all the more: for the past couple of weeks, we've been letting Auden go naked-butt in the mornings and usually at some point he will stop and grab his gut or give that look of intense concentration that can't mean anything else, and we grab the potty and lo, We're In Business. Then he makes a big production of taking the poo-in-the-potty to the toilet where he dumps it in, flushes it, and we clap and cheer like happy dorks.

I'm not sure exactly how this happened, but I can tell you that it was Jason who became diligent about giving him potty chances again, because I may or may not have become entirely soured on this endeavor. Also, I got a book on construction trucks, which served as the perfect motivator and distractor.

But check it out, it gets EVEN BETTER: this morning while neither Jason nor I was paying attention, Auden sat down on his potty of his own volition and did it HIMSELF, then got up and pointed to it. Jason realized what he'd done and we repeated our enthusiastic flushing ceremony.

For some reason this only works with poo, though. And I'm sure Auden knows upwards of 30 different signs and STILL won't do the one for potty.

But nevertheless, my unwavering parenting philosophy (Take What You Can Get) applies here, and we celebrate this decisive victory in the war on dirty diapers.

*

3 comments:

Caro said...

Wow, impressive.

Emily said...

I agree. I think this might be the first time I've EVER heard of a kid pooping on the potty BEFORE he pees. Score!

trudi said...

Way to go Auden! Jotham enjoyed pooping on the potty first as well! Only he learned while watching an hysterical overly enthusiastic British woman train her little girl. Basically she followed her little girl around with the portable potty. They happened to be staying in the same hostel with us. Jotham decided upon arriving back home, that he wanted to do his thing in his potty (which happened to be the same one as the little girl's). He wasn't even two years yet, so we were quite surprised and pleased! And we didn't even use your method. :-) So nice not to have poopy diapers!