Thursday, April 21, 2011

engineer booties

Lots of friends have had babies recently, and they're all boys. I admit I've been way more inspired to make girlie stuff lately, so it seems like I'm partial, but it's just that I haven't gotten around to taking a picture of the super-hero cape I made for Auden (with, per his request, an "S" on the back -- which, for the record, is THE HARDEST LETTER IN THE WHOLE ALPHABET TO TOP-STITCH).

I should also admit that I've become an unwitting enforcer of gender signifiers in babies. My friend Emily, pregnant with her second, got word during one ultrasound that she'd be having a girl, and I got all squealy and excited for her because her first is a boy and of course boys are awesome but eeeeeee! Cute girl things! And I started knitting a little hat for her right away. Then subsequent ultrasounds pointed in the other direction, and as much as I wanted to, I just couldn't send a cherry red pixie cap to a baby boy. And I thought I was so progressive! So I needed a different project.

I've been meaning to tweak the pattern for booties I made here, and of course all babies need booties.

Without any commentary on gender-appropriate colors, clothes and/or career choices, behold, the Engineer Booties! For boys! In blue! (okay, that was commentary)

I had some Osh-Kosh overalls that never quite fit Auden right, but I LOVED the stripey denim so I couldn't throw them away. I managed to get two pairs of booties out of one pair of overalls.

I changed the shape of the toe piece so that it was wider overall, then added a little elastic for a snug fit.

With the pair I made for Isla, I put fusible web in the toe, but left the sides soft. With these I did the opposite, which makes way more sense, since the sides need structure but the toe needs to be flexible.

Cute cute cute.

*

4 comments:

ms. c said...

Totally cute. Can I ship some fabric to you for a pair for the baby?
;)

Robin Danely said...

Yes! I'd love to make some for your new bun! When are you due?

Anonymous said...

And thank you for them, they are very cute!

Martin

Christina said...

Where can I find a pattern for these cute booties? I have the same predicament, handmade gift for a boy my sister is having, my mother chose to make the blanket! These are perfect! Thank you!
C