Tuesday, January 13, 2009

we are small

I finished the pieces I'm showing next month at the Cedarburg Cultural Center's You Gotta Have Art group show. It's a good thing the theme is miniatures, because I don't have the elbow room or the time for big projects. (I have all these huge, unfinished, pre-baby paintings and it's just killing me to watch them languish... and to recall that I used to have the wherewithal to experiment on canvases the size of semi-trucks)(Okay, not that big. Motherhood has made me prone to exaggeration).

But anyway! Like I said before, this is a scale I can handle, and I'm quite pleased with how these pieces came out. I sold several pieces like this on Etsy, so I'm guessing people who buy art like this scale, too.

I painted the butterflies directly onto the glass, then, after they were dry, laid them face down on a collaged background.



I love how the paint looks on the reverse side, so smooth and strange and not like paint. But the painted side looks cool, too:



I didn't give much thought to smallness beyond the dimensions of the artwork -- the pieces in the show can be no bigger than 25 square inches -- but I guess I've been fascinated by bugs and birds and other little things for a long time. I like it that they remind me how small I am, too, in comparison.

*

6 comments:

Mommy Melee said...

Wow I LOVE that. Collagework makes me so happy.

meeks said...

i love it! You know me and butterflies. =)

Jan said...

Looking forward to seeing all the new art work in a couple of weeks.

Fenna Diephuis Stoub said...

You will have No trouble selling this JOY! I thougt of Meeks right away when I saw it. AND I also thought of How this stuff would sell at the Meijer Garden's art store. I wonder how you'd connect with them? and honey! NOTHING will ever keep you from being the artist you are! oxoxoxox

robin said...

Aw, you guys are great.

materials said...

gucci
gucci bag
gucci handbag
buy gucci
gucci wallet